Week 9 Picks – Semifinal Playoffs
J-Rod’s Section 9 Semifinal Playoff Football Picks
Class A semifinals
- Roosevelt vs. Cornwall, 7 p.m at Dietz Stadium: Cornwall seeking to reach the Class A championship for the 13th year in a row.
The pick: Cornwall
- Port Jervis vs. Goshen, 7 p.m. at Faller Field: A win over previously undefeated Port Jervis a month ago sparked Goshen’s turnaround this season.
The pick: Goshen
Class C semifinals
- Pine Plains vs. Burke Catholic, 11 a.m. at Faller Field: Burke Catholic quarterback Heath Hoovler hoping to add onto his school-record 14 passing touchdowns this season.
The pick: Burke Catholic
- Chester vs. Ellenville, 11 a.m. at Dietz Stadium: Ellenville has quietly put together a phenomenal season after years of struggling and will give Chester everything it can handle.
The pick: Chester
Class B semifinals
- New Paltz vs. Spackenkill, 3 p.m. at Dietz Stadium: Could be the game of the weekend and there are a lot of must see showdowns this weekend.
The pick: New Paltz
- Liberty vs. Marlboro, 3 p.m. at Faller Field: Liberty is back at full strength and led Marlboro by a touchdown at halftime when they played a month ago. But the Iron Dukes are too much.
The pick: Marlboro
Class AA semifinals
- Warwick vs. Pine Bush, 7 p.m. at Faller Field: Warwick is underrated and deserves more credit, but I’ll take Pine Bush, who is suddenly OK with being seeded fifth in the playoffs.
The pick: Pine Bush
- Monroe-Woodbury vs. Newburgh, 7 p.m. at Dietz Stadium: The semifinal showdown means that Monroe-Woodbury and Newburgh won’t play for the Class AA title for the first time since 2012.
The pick: Newburgh