Week 6 Picks
J-Rod’s Week 6 Section 9 football picks
- Haldane at Eldred, 4 p.m.: Yellowjackets are winless, but at least football is back an Eldred. That is a start.
The pick: Haldane
- Goshen at Wallkill, 7 p.m.: Goshen coach Ed Killenberger’s “Kids” no longer experiencing growing pains.
The pick: Goshen
- Newburgh at Monroe-Woodbury, 7 p.m.: Newburgh smoked the Crusaders in the regular-season last year, but this game will be closer.
The pick: Newburgh
- Minisink Valley at Warwick, 7 p.m.: Minisink Valley could very well be the first team in Section 9 history to lose back-to-back OT games. Simply unheard of at any level, but Warriors still a tough out.
The pick: Warwick
- Red Hook at Marlboro, 7 p.m.: The Marlboro Machine has racked up 2,540 yards of offense and 245 points during its first five games.
The pick: Marlboro
- Tri-Valley at Chester, 7 p.m.: One week until the biggest Class C game of the year, Chester vs. Burke Catholic.
The pick: Chester
- Onteora at Pine Plains, 7 p.m.: Battle of two programs that have made great strides this year.
The pick: Pine Plains
- Highland at Spackenkill, 7 p.m.: Spackenkill averaging 47 points in three wins this season.
The pick: Spackenkill
- Ellenville at Dover, 7 p.m.: Ellenville has as many wins this season (three) as it has the previous three years.
The pick: Ellenville
- Tuckahoe at Millbrook, 7 p.m.: Tuckahoe looks to move to 3-0 against Section 9 opponents this season.
The pick: Tuckahoe
- Pine Bush at Kingston, 1:30 p.m.: Rare regular-season matinee at venerable Dietz Stadium. Make sure to hit the Dietz Diner for dinner after the game.
The pick: Pine Bush
- Middletown at Port Jervis, 1:30 p.m.: The Middies look to extend its winning streak over the Raiders to four games.
The pick: Port Jervis
- Valley Central at Washingtonville, 3 p.m.: Thinking that this game will be decided by a touchdown or less.
The pick: Washingtonville
- Burke Catholic at Roscoe, 3:30 p.m.: Burke Catholic QB Heath Hoovler’s six touchdowns last week against Tri-Valley was one short of the Section 9 record set by Chester’s Vinny Aloi in 2013. Four other players have thrown six touchdown passes in a game.
The pick: Burke Catholic
- Roosevelt at Saugerties, 3:30 p.m.: Perhaps last chance to salvage the season for Saugerties.
The pick: Roosevelt
- Cornwall at Monticello, 3:30 p.m.: Showcase of the best running backs in Section 9, T.J. Gayle of Cornwall and Monitcello’s Khadeem Richards.
The pick: Cornwall
- New Paltz at Rondout Valley, 3:30 p.m.: New Paltz has rushed for over 350 yards in consecutive games.
The pick: New Paltz
- O’Neill at Liberty, 4:30 p.m.: O’Neill-Liberty jockeying for Class B playoff position.
The pick: Liberty
Last week: 16-1