J-Rod’s Week 5 Section 9 football picks
Onteora at Dover, 4 p.m.: Onteora coming off first win since 2013. The pick: Dover
- Liberty at Spackenkill, 4 p.m.: Dhyquem Lewinson rushed for seven touchdowns and Spackenkill scored 57 points in an Arena Football League win over Red Hook last week.
The pick: Spackenkill
- Saugerties at Goshen, 4 p.m.: Saugerties put up 53 points last week and Goshen’s defense is hot. Tough call.
The pick: Saugerties
- Red Hook at New Paltz, 6:30 p.m.: Red Hook sophomore quarterback Dylan Bayliss (A.K.A. The future) passed for 360 yards and four touchdowns vs. Spackenkill last week.
The pick: New Paltz
- Chester at Roscoe, 7 p.m.: Chester rights the ship with a hard fought win after getting lumped up by Dobbs Ferry last week.
The pick: Chester
- Pine Plains at Ellenville, 7 p.m.: RB Anthony Walton broke out in a big way last week, rushing for four touchdowns.
The pick: Ellenville
- Rondout Valley at Marlboro, 7 p.m.: First-year RV coach Bob Koonz, a Section 9 staple for years, formerly coached at Marlboro.
The pick: Marlboro
- O’Neill at Highland, 7 p.m.: O’Neill’s two losses have come to Marlboro and New Paltz, two wins have come by an average of 22.5 points.
The pick: O’Neill
- Wallkill at Port Jervis, 7 p.m.: Class move by Port Jervis running back Henry Bowers congratulating Goshen on its win over the Raiders on Twitter on Saturday.
The pick: Port Jervis
- Roosevelt at Cornwall, 7 p.m.: Roosevelt improving in recent weeks, but Cornwall just too much.
The pick: Cornwall
- Monticello at Valley Central, 7 p.m.: Monticello RB Khadeem Richards sprinting toward 1,000 rushing yards (literally), but Valley Central should pull this out.
The pick: Valley Central
- Warwick at Newburgh, 7 p.m.: Match-up of two of the top WR’s in Section 9, Warwick’s Connor Perez and Newburgh’s Uh’Charion Hanson.
The pick: Newburgh
- Middletown at Monroe-Woodbury, 7 p.m.: Middletown has played the streaking Crusaders tough in recent years.
The pick: Monroe-Woodbury
- Kingston at Washingtonville, 7 p.m.: After starting season slow, Washingtonville has put up 86 points last two weeks. The pick: Washingtonville
- Minisink Valley at Pine Bush, 7 p.m.: Minisink Valley has lost three games this season by an average of a touchdown.
The pick: Pine Bush
- Tri-Valley at Burke Catholic, 1:30 p.m.: Soccer player Colin Shust has been steady in his first year as a placekicker.
The pick: Burke Catholic
- Eldred at Millbrook, 7 p.m.: Millbrook clinched the Class D regular-season title. There are two teams in Class D.
The pick: Millbrook
- Last week: 16-4
- Season record: 61-15