Week 10 Picks
J-Rod’s Section 9 Football Championship picks
- Cornwall vs. Port Jervis, 7 p.m. at Dietz Stadium, Kingston: Port Jervis must play ball control offense and keep Cornwall off the field…..for the entire game. Seriously, Port is a tough and proud bunch, and won’t back down against heavily favored Cornwall. But the Green Dragons are just too much.
The pick: Cornwall
- Marlboro vs. New Paltz, 7 p.m. at Faller Field, Middletown: Anything less than New Paltz-Marlboro in the championship would be disappointing like, say, an Astros-Dodgers World Series. Well, we all got we wanted. The New Paltz-Marlboro rematch could be even more intense than Round 1.
The pick: Marlboro
- Millbrook-Eldred, 3 p.m. at Dietz: The Blazers should blaze to the Class D championship against win winless Eldred. Millbrook defeated Eldred 49-7 on Sept. 30. It should be noted that Millbrook coach Sean Keenan, one of the good guys in Section 9, has done a wonderful job with a young team.
The pick: Millbrook
- Chester-Burke Catholic, 7 p.m. at Dietz: Back on Oct. 13, Chester-Burke Catholic served as the undercard for New Paltz-Marlboro. Well, guess what: The undercard was better than the main event. Despite scoring the first 21 points of the game, Burke Catholic had to hold on for a 28-24 win. We could be in for another instant classic on Saturday.
The pick: Burke Catholic
- Newburgh-Pine Bush, 7 p.m. at Faller: Being the fifth seed was a blessing for Pine Bush because it avoided Newburgh until the final. The Bushmen sure wished they avoided Newburgh in September when the Goldbacks pasted them 34-7. Still, I would be shocked in Pine Bush isn’t much more competitive in Round 2.
The pick: Newburgh
- Last week: 11-4
- Season: 127-32