Skip to content
J-Rod’s Week 1 Section 9 football picks
- Spackenkill at Rondout Valley, 4 p.m.: Spackenkill RB Dhyquem Lewinson (missed most of last season with broken collarbone) could candidate for Comeback Player of the Year.
The pick: Spackenkill
- Burke Catholic at New Paltz, 6:30 p.m.: This is a must see opening-night game, pitting the defending Class B champion (New Paltz) vs. the defending Class C champion.
The pick: New Paltz
- Wallkill at Valley Central, 7 p.m.: Former Wallkill coach Brian Vegliando returns as an assistant to Shane Regan. I like it. I also like VC in this one.
The pick: Valley Central
- Goshen at Cornwall, 7 p.m.: Cornwall a favorite (surprise, surprise) to win its seventh straight Class A title this year. The pick: Cornwall
- Saugerties at Port Jervis, 7 p.m.: Saugerties proves this year that last season’s miraculous turnaround was no fluke.
The pick: Saugerties
- Washingtonville at Pine Bush, 7 p.m.: Enjoyed having Pine Bush QB Haakon Meland on my sports talk radio show on Monday night on wallradio.com. Yes, that is a shameless plug. But watch out for Haakon this year.
The pick: Pine Bush
- Minisink Valley at Middletown, 7 p.m.: The Warriors expected two roll out two-headed QB in the form of Ray Razukiewicz and Ryan Johannsen.
The pick: Minisink Valley
- Warwick at Monroe-Woodbury, 7 p.m.: A gallon of gas went for 86 cents the last time Warwick beat M-W. The year was 1979.
The pick: M-W
- Kingston at Newburgh, 7 p.m.: The defending Class AA champions open with a divisional game against a fierce rival.
The pick: Newburgh
- O’Neill at Marlboro, 7 p.m.: Marlboro looking to return to the top of Class B after its five-year reign ended last year.
The pick: Marlboro
- Tuckahoe at Ellenville, 7 p.m.: Despite an eight-hour bus ride (give or take), I like Tuckahoe.
The pick: Tuckahoe.
- Dobbs Ferry at Millbrook, 7 p.m.: Great test for the Sean Keenan’s to open the season. Millbrook moves from Class C to D this year.
The pick: Dobbs Ferry
- Pawling at Pine Plains, 7 p.m.: Pine Plains is improving and should be even better this year.
The pick: Pawling
- Highland at Chester, 7 p.m.: Chester opened last year with a loss to a Class B school (Red Hook). Not this time.
The pick: Chester
- Tri-Valley at Eldred, 7 p.m.: Former Middletown and Wallkill coach Steve Barone now at Eldred. Good pick up.
The pick: Tri-Valley
- Roosevelt at Monticello, 1:30 p.m.: Roosevelt, back in Class A, can do damage in the league.
The pick: Roosevelt
- Liberty at Red Hook, 1:30 p.m.: Liberty do-it-all player Roy Penn-Cosentino the difference in this game.
The pick: Liberty
- Onteora at Roscoe/Sullivan West/Livingston Manor/Downsville, 1:30 p.m.: Take Roscoe and Coin this one.
The pick: Roscoe and Co.
- Woodlands at Dover, 1:30 p.m.: Section 9 faces another Section 1 small school powerhouse.
The pick: Woodlands