Skip to content
J-Rod’s Preseason Section 9 rankings
- Newburgh: Terry Anderson made plays for the three-time defending Class AA champs at running back last year and he will do the same under center for the Goldbacks this fall.
- Monroe-Woodbury: Graduated 17 starters last year…and is still a Class AA championship contender.
- Pine Bush: Juniors Anthony Potts and Xavier Martinez could make for one of the best backfields in Section 9.
- Cornwall: Six-time defending Class A champs allowed just 4.8 points per game in eight divisional games, including the playoffs last year.
- New Paltz: Electric New Paltz quarterback Jimmy Verney put up 2,609 all-purpose yards and 20 scores last year. Expect him to be even better this fall.
- Marlboro: Rival New Paltz ended the Iron Dukes’ five-year run as Class B champs last year. The mission in Marlboro is simple this year: Beat New Paltz.
- Washingtonville: Can send a message with a win over a confident Pine Bush team. The Wizards allowed just 49 points during the regular-season last year, opening 6-0.
- Valley Central: Coming off a one-win season, the expectation is that the Vikings could be one of the most improved teams in Section 9.
- Minisink Valley: Lost some key skill players, but as always the Warriors are going to be a tough out.
- Warwick: Defensive end Dan McNally, who suffered a broken foot during Warwick’s second series last year, could be a force to be reckoned with this fall. He didn’t return after the injury.